Will Johnson & Justin Kinkel-Schuster (of the Waterliars) will be on tour together in February. It’ll be a mix of all acoustic Living Room Shows and a couple of small venues along the way.
2/11 : Huntsville AL @ Tangled String Studios – BUY TICKETS
2/14 : Waverly AL – BUY TICKETS
2/15 : Birmingham AL – BUY TICKETS
2/16 : Atlanta GA – SOLD OUT
2/17 : Nashville TN – BUY TICKETS
2/18 : Memphis TN – BUY TICKETS
2/19 : Little Rock AR – BUY TICKETS
2/20 : Oxford MS – SOLD OUT
2/21 : New Orleans LA – BUY TICKETS
2/23 : San Antonio – BUY TICKETS
Come out and say hello!
Dec 03 : Berlin, Germany – Badehaus Szimpla
Dec 05 : Brugge, Belgium – Autumn Falls – Cactus at Biekorf
Dec 06 : Antwerpen, Belgium – Autumn Falls – Trix
Dec 08 : Manchester, UK – Gulliver’s
Dec 09 : Leeds, UK – Headrow House
Dec 11 : London, UK – St Pancras Church
Dec 13 : Amersfoort, Netherlands – Fluor
Dec 15 : Sevilla, Spain – CICU
Dec 16 : Zaragoza, Spain – La Lata de Bombillas
Dec 17 : Madrid, Spain – El Sol
Dec 18 : Barcelona, Spain – Heliogabal
Dec 19 : San Sebastián, Spain – Bukowski
Dec 20 : Orense, Spain – Café Pop Torgal
Ticket links to all shows can be found at http://www.will-johnson.com/shows/
Will Johnson & Justin Kinkel-Schuster (of the Waterliars) will be on tour together in February. It’ll be a mix of all acoustic Living Room Shows and a couple of small venues along the way. We’ll make this as easy as possible for the hosts. All you have to do is let us borrow your living room for about 3 hours, check names off the list at the door… in return you’ll get 5 additional free tickets for friends and our eternal gratitude.
If you are located in or near any of these cities and interested in hosting please read everything below and get in touch! Contact info at the end of this post.
2/11 : Huntsville AL – Confirmed
2/14 : Waverly AL – Confirmed
2/15 : Birmingham AL – Confirmed
2/16 : Atlanta GA – Confirmed
2/17 : Nashville TN – Confirmed
2/18 : Memphis TN – Confirmed
2/19 : Little Rock AR – Confirmed
2/20 : Oxford MS – Confirmed
2/21 : New Orleans or Lafayette LA – HOST NEEDED
2/22 : Houston – HOST NEEDED
2/23 : San Antonio – Confirmed
Here’s how it works.
1. You have a house, loft, small gallery, studio or other private space that can comfortably and safely host 40-50 people. A place with a big living room, finished basement or other interior space would be ideal. There needs to be street parking, parking garage or public transportation nearby and your neighbors should be cool. It would be a huge bummer if someone called the cops because of all the extra cars and people coming to your house. You probably shouldn’t do this if you live in a small apartment with a bunch of uptight neighbors or a cranky landlord. Be realistic on how many people your place can hold. We need to know how many tickets we can sell in advance. Sorry, we can’t do these shows outside.
2. Ticket price will be $20. Everyone must buy tickets in advance. No tickets will be sold at the door. There will be no reselling or third-party tickets sales. All tickets sales are direct to fans from Undertow. Limit 4 tickets per person. We want everyone to have the same chance of getting tickets.
3. We’ll provide the host with a list of everyone coming to the show. The host won’t have to deal with any money and will only need to check people off the list as they arrive. We ask guests to arrive between 7:00-7:45pm. The shows start at 8pm and we ask everyone to be out of your space by 10pm.
4. The host gets 5 additional free tickets for the show. If you have other friends beyond your 5 guests who want to come to the show you should direct them buy tickets on-line.
5. Your home address will not be published on the web and will only be given to people who purchase tickets.
6. The shows will promoted on our websites, Facebook and Twitter and word-of-mouth.
7. We’ll need your help to spread the word on your Facebook and Twitter too. We’ll create a Facebook event for each show and make you a host of the event so you can easily invite your friends (Thank you!). Remember, please don’t post your address. The address only goes to people after they buy tickets. We need to keep the location private so random people don’t try to show up and pay at the door.
8. You don’t need any sort of sound system. We’ll need to bottle a couple of armless chairs on and couple of glasses or bottles of water near where Will and Justin will be playing. It’s nice if you have some kind of ambient lighting like a lamp on coffee table, floor lamp, or overhead lights with a dimmer to help create a cozy mood.
9. You don’t need seating for everyone. If you have a bunch of chairs, great! But most shows are floor seating and we let guests know they should bring a cushion or pillow to sit on during the show.
10. There will be no opening acts on the living room shows.
11. We love dogs and cats… we really do! But an excitable pet running around during the show can be distracting for the guests and performers. If you have curious and friendly 4-legged family members, would you be ok with putting them in another part of the house or sending them to a friend’s house during the show?
After reading all of this, if interested please follow these steps:
You read everything above and it’s all cool?
1. send an email to email@example.com with this info:
– a. Your address.
– b. A few photos of the space where the show will happen.
– c. Please put “Will & Justin Living Room Show” and the name of your city in the subject line.
2. Sit tight and we’ll get back to as soon as possible if we can book the show at your house.
Thanks for your help!
ALL VOLS: KNOX COUNTY WARRIORS
Pioneer House Gallery
413 S. Gay Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Friday November 13, 2015 6-9pm
In October of 1978, my dad (a University of Tennessee alum) took me to my first Tennessee Volunteers football game at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis; a frustrating loss to Mississippi State. A bitter cold swept in as the sun set, and I got sick on the way home. I thought it was the Wendy’s, but years later I considered the plausible scenario that it might have been my first true taste of internalized, spectator heartbreak. The mood was somber, and the car savage and foul, all the way home. Memphis was the closest town of any significant culture for those of us from across the river in southeast Missouri and northeast Arkansas, so I made it there a good bit as a kid. In the coming years my dad continued to turn me on to the magnitude of Tennessee football, kindly taking me back to the Liberty Bowl when the Vols would come west for the occasional home-away-from-home game. Thanks to him I got to see Reggie White, Willie Gault, and Bill Bates play at the height of their college careers. While most of the other kids in our neighborhood wore Staubach, Swann, or Bradshaw jerseys in our sandlot, full tackle games, I was the kid in the orange #6 Jimmy Streater jersey and homemade Power-T helmet, both gifts from my dad. I wore that jersey so thin that he chose to replace it a couple years later. Even as life took me southwest, I’ve been proud to follow along and watch the Vols from afar. Through good years and bad, it’s given my dad and I even more conversation to chew on, and I’ve long been grateful for that.
I get to travel a lot, but I’ve never gotten to spend much time in Knoxville. Next Saturday I’ll finally make it to Neyland Stadium for a game. It’s been both educational and nostalgic to assemble this show, and a chance to pay tribute to some of my favorite Vols football players. It’s also a good excuse to take an overdue road trip with my dad. There are some legends missing here and there, and I accepted that possibility from the start. There are many, and I figure that’s a good problem for a football program to have. I didn’t sweat a strict to-do list, but instead went with whatever player happened to inspire or intrigue me at the time the paints were out.
Thanks to my friends Bill Bayne and Julie Belcher for encouraging and enabling this show.
This one’s dedicated to my dad.
-Will Johnson, November 2015
Nov 19 : San Francisco, CA @ Slim’s – TICKETS
Nov 20 : Los Angeles, CA @ Hotel Café (early show) – TICKETS
Nov 20 : Los Angeles, CA @ Hotel Café (late show) – TICKETS
Nov 21 : San Juan Capistrano, CA @ Coach House – TICKETS
Nov 22 : Phoenix, AZ @ Crescent Ballroom – TICKETS
Come out and say hello.
“Swan City Vampires is a masterpiece of folk, Americana, and punk rock.”
[ read article ]
Will Johnson “Call, Call, Call”
From the LP Swan City Vampires, available via Undertow.
Shot by Edmund LeStrange and Jessie Johnson.
Edited by Boomer Galassi
BUY THE ALBUM HERE:
“Swan City Vampires” will be released worldwide on September 25. You can pre-order it now and download the entire album instantly.
1. Paradise, Basically
2. You vs. Off The Cuff
3. Nameless, But A Lover
4. Call, Call, Call
5. (Made Us Feel Like) Kings
7. It’s a Pretty Fucked Skyline
9. Thug Life Pt. 2
10. The Watchman
11. Chalked Lines/Waxed Sun
“Swan City Vampires, the new solo album from former Centro-matic frontman Will Johnson finds him in peak form. At times as beautiful and melodious as he’s ever been, at others with a primal immediacy beyond anything I’ve ever heard him do. Raw and urgent, this album is a thing of immense beauty that only gets better with each repeated listen. This could end up being my favorite album he’s ever made.” – Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers)
“Swan City Vampires is another fantastic release from Will Johnson. It’s melancholy, hazy but hopeful. It’s tuneful, complex, and beautiful. At times it seems to me like a fever dream, but with sudden stunning moments of clarity. I’ve been listening to it a lot in the early mornings, but I think it’s also a dusk record, as it’s shadows reveal new things each time. Scary like a vampire, pretty like a swan, buzzing like a city. Will again delights and surprises.” – Craig Finn (The Hold Steady)
“Will Johnson is one of my favorite songwriters on Earth, and this album is as literate and addictive as any of his previous work. These songs are honest and specific while remaining open to multiple layers of interpretation. The melodies are beautiful and memorable, and Will’s voice is a complex and delicate instrument. As a long-time fan, it makes me happy to know that Will is still challenging himself to make music that truly can be called art.” – Jason Isbell
Will is gearing for a very busy fall with a ton of tour dates. Tickets for the first leg of the Living Room Tour on sale now.
9/25 : Austin TX – Waterloo Records – FREE!
9/26 : Denton TX – Oaktopia Fest – TICKETS
9/28 : Colorado Springs CO – Living Room Show
9/29 : Denver CO – Living Room Show
9/30 : Cheyenne WY – Living Room Show
10/1 : Fort Collins, CO – Living Room Show
10/3 : Boise ID – Living Room Show
10/4 : Seattle WA – Living Room Show
10/5 : Portland OR – Living Room Show
10/6 : Eugene OR – Living Room Show
10/7 : Reno NV – Living Room Show
10/8 : Sacramento CA – Living Room Show
10/9 : San Francisco CA – Living Room Show
10/10 : Petaluma CA – Living Room Show
10/11 : Los Angeles CA – Living Room Show
10/13 : Las Vegas NV – Living Room Show
10/15 : Phoenix AZ – Living Room Show
10/16 : Albuquerque NM – Living Room Show
10/18 : Austin TX – Living Room Show
We’ll see you out there!